expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Daily Blog Entry

For today’s daily blog post, I decided to do a reader’s response to a writing found on the class webpage’s eAnthology. The short essay is entitled, McBastards: McDonald's & Globalization by Paul Feine. The part anecdote, part analysis examines the insanely successful fast food chain on a global scale. What I found most interesting were the facts about how McDonald’s has positively impacted other nations. I find it hard to believe that restaurants in Hong Kong actually improved the cleanliness of their bathrooms to compete with the chain, or how lines at restaurants in Korea suddenly became more organized. I did not like how negative the author feels about McDonald’s. I see them as nothing more than a very successful franchise with a genius marketing team. However, I do see how others can label them as corporate bastards. The essay made me think about how fast food chains can be compared to their “older brothers”. I have always thought very little about cigarette companies because they are responsible for providing people with the weapons that cause numerous health problems such as cancer. Perhaps I should also see fast food places in a similar light. This comparison might even be useful as an anti-marketing campaign to persuade consumers to cut down on fast food. This would definitely help on cutting down obesity related illnesses in the United States. I am curious of how successful John Banzhaf will be in his lawsuit. I also liked how Feine shared his experiences at a McDonald’s in Paris and Belgrade. Even though he was on the other side of the world, the familiarity at the restaurant felt just like what I experience in Strafford, Missouri. I would definitely read another text like this. It challenges what I think about the world and successful franchises. I am always open to new ideas.  

Wednesday, July 2 

No comments:

Post a Comment