expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Daily Blog Entry


Today’s entry is a reader’s response. I read the article, “Polly Want a Cracker” by an unknown author from the class webpage. I enjoyed the well-composed metaphor comparing the author growing feathers and a beak to being affected by an inefficient educational system. I was able to relate to the text exceptionally well. While I can brag that my grade school was more about critical thinking than memorization, I have been through a few classes where the teacher only wanted us to be able to recite what we learn in class. It seems to me that those classes are usually social studies. In English, we created writings; in science, we applied knowledge to case studies; in math, we used problem-solving skills to tackle complicated problems. However, social studies always had us memorize dates, events, and locations. “Describe the Cuban Missile Crisis; what is the capital of Brunei?” I always felt like a parrot in those classes. I definitely agree with the Mark Twain quote, “Never let schooling interfere with your education.” I feel that school supplies us with knowledge and thinking skills, but it is up to us to develop and process our own education. I disagree with the author’s overall tone. It seems that he or she failed to have a decent education growing up at all. Just because school isn’t perfect in educating doesn’t mean it fails at teaching students. I also felt that the text was a little short, I would have l enjoyed reading more examples of how the author’s school made them feel more like a parrot.  I believe the short essay intimately connected with one of my values. I too believe that education is only worthwhile if it is effective. I would definitely read another work by this author, especially if it coincided with another of my values.
Thursday, July 10

No comments:

Post a Comment