expr:class='"loading" + data:blog.mobileClass'>

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Daily Blog Entry

Before I begin to write my “This I Believe” essay, I decided to complete exercise one. Many famous social leaders have been able to shape movements with their motivational creeds. First, what is a creed? The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines a creed as “An idea or set of beliefs that guides the actions of a person or group.” From this definition, I can decide if certain documents are in fact creeds. For example, I consider the Preamble to the Constitution of the United States a creed. Its main purpose is to serve as an introduction to the Constitution and outlines the intents of the Founding Fathers. However, I see it also being a motivating writing, calling the fellow colonists to action. In this regard, the Preamble is definitely a creed. In fact, the first line of William Tyler Page’s The American’s Creed borrows from the closing words of the Preamble. Another possible creed is the Communist  Manifesto. Like the Preamble, it outlines the specific goals of a political machine. It too served a second purpose by motivating and influencing people’s political views.  Certain groups such as Greenpeace and Amnesty International also use creeds to identify themselves. They have mission statements that inform the public what their intentions and goals are that help us understand what they are. For example, Greenpeace’s is, “Greenpeace is the leading independent campaigning organization that uses peaceful protest and creative communication to expose global environmental problems and to promote solutions that are essential to a green and peaceful future.” This clearly states what type of organization they are and what their main objectives are. One of my favorite creeds is by Martin Luther King Jr. In his famous I have a Dream speech, he speaks out against the gross inequality suffered by African Americans. He strives to galvanize all Americans for fair treatment of all peoples and to judge others based solely on character. For my credo, I will consider incorporating a statement for equality like the Reverend King.
Sunday, June 29

No comments:

Post a Comment